Child Protection and Safeguarding are the responsibilities of all permanent members of staff, temporary staff, supply or peripatetic staff, volunteers and anyone coming into contact with children through the school.
The Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSLs) for Child Protection in the school are The Headteacher, Mrs J McCarthy and the Deputy Headteacher, Mrs S Doczyminska.
Our policies and procedures relating to Child Protection and Safeguarding can be found in the policies section of our website in the Safeguarding section.
Safeguarding and Child Protection considerations underpin everything that is done in the name of Saint John Houghton Catholic Voluntary Academy. Our actions and protocols are set within the context of the School’s Mission Statement and as such staff will maintain the caring ethos of the school and uphold Gospel values.
Our protocols, which are reviewed and approved by the Governing Body annually as part of our Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy, apply to all staff, governors and volunteers working in the school. Our protocols have six strands:
- Raising awareness of child protection issues with staff and equipping children with the skills needed to keep them safe.
- Ensuring we practice safer recruitment by checking the suitability of prospective staff and volunteers to work with children.
- Training and supporting our staff to equip them to appropriately recognise, respond to and support children who are vulnerable and may be in need of safeguarding.
- Implement and review regularly, in the light of experience, our procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
- Supporting pupils who have been abused in accordance with his/her agreed child protection plan.
- Establishing a safe environment in which children can learn and develop.
Communication with Parents and Carers
We held a successful and enlightening Safeguarding Information Evening on Monday 19th September where parents were given details of the school’s procedures relating to Safeguarding and Child Protection. Parents were given an opportunity to ask any questions and through constructive discussion a number of positive suggestions emerged which will be considered at the next meeting of the school’s Safeguarding Board. Click HERE to see the powerpoint presentation.
The school’s Safeguarding Board meets regularly to review procedures, review current cases and identify any children at risk.
Support for Students is available within school including:
- Tutors/Teachers/Support Staff who all receive annual safeguarding and child protection training
- Progress Leaders as part of their monitoring role
- The Oasis Team where peer support is available
- Our Lay Chaplain who sees students by appointment and from referral
- Prefects who receive training on how to identify students who may be vulnerable
- School Nurse: Helen Burke
Appointments can be made via the school office. Helen comes into school every Monday morning to see students and staff. She can be contacted by phoning 0115 9305522
- Derbyshire Police: PCSO Steve Bowlzer visits school approximately every 6 weeks to liaise and talk to the students and staff. He can be contacted by phoning 0345 12333334
Other Agencies which offer students support outside of school are as follows: